Monday, March 24, 2008

Best Foot Forward

I'm not totally certain why I'm walking the Camino, but it is the first time in my life that I have an uncommitted period of time. Most of my life has been lived looking after family, both as a child, and as a parent. After forty years of caring for the sick, most recently, the dying and their families, I was relieved of these duties, when I myself, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Seeing my own impermanence gave me cause to reflect.

To me, the Camino will be a way of living life reduced to it's basics: walking, eating and sleeping, and will provide a great opportunity for walking meditation.

I have no expectations, but will try my best to make it to Santiago.

1 comment:

Cecelia said...

Hi Ruth,
I'm thinking of you as you make your way up the hills, down the valleys and through the towns and villages along the way. The camino journey is like an encapsulated piece of life and I can imagine that it will support and reinforce the practice you have done for many years as you physically focus on the step you are taking each moment.
Enjoy the wonderful spring wildflowers, the new people you meet, the villages and cities you pass through and try not to get caught up in the competitive rush for beds that you will see many others doing. There are no prizes for being fast or walking the farthest, there are no penalties for stopping to put your feet in a stream, or to rest or snack. There are no prizes for always carrying your own pack (a taxi will carry it for you) or for taking the bus for a few miles. The compostela in Santiago is given for walking the last 100 km. and there is no other (outer) prize for walking the steep mountains you have chosen to walk. It's your camino and the best way for you to do it is your way - whatever that is.
There is much to learn and enjoy but most people have moments or even days of wondering what they are doing and especially why they are doing it.
May your camino lessons be easy, gentle and humourous.
Buen camino
Cecelia