Saturday, March 29, 2008

walking

I've been walking around New Westminster, doing a couple of passes up and down 4th st. which comprises of a killer hill, that begins at the Fraser River, and rises rapidly over five very short blocks. Descending is most difficult on old knees. Ascending involves getting going and building up cardio, which is always possible. Changing your knee anatomy is a little more difficult.

I can always recognize those who walk the hill daily. Their walking appears effortless.

Recently I've been using my Nordic walkers. While climbing the 4th street hill, at 11pm!, I was asked by a passerby "Where are your skis?" I was tempted to reply "At Riverview", a nearby hospital for the mentally ill.
With my headband, loaded pack, "ski polls", the hill, and the lateness of the night, I must have looked like I'd lost my mind. Actually, I had combined my walk with a check on my daughter's nearby apartment, as she is away at Shasta Abbey.

No comments: