Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Gratitude

I awoke with a heavy feeling today, thinking it quite bizarre that some of us, in our rich society, place ourselves in a 'chop wood, carry water' situation so that we can really experience 'life'.
I no longer have to worry about my basic needs, however, on my pilgrimage, I will be concerned with such things.
What got me to thinking about such matters, was a documentary: "Long Way Round".
In the film, Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman travel via motorcycle around the world. While in Mongolia they meet street orphans, abandoned by their parents, who are so desperately poor that they are neither able to feed themselves nor their children. The tiny two year old girl (the same age as my granddaughter), who could only speak to one caregiver, brought tears to my eyes. Equally as heart- rending, were my imaginations of the anguish, that the parents must be experiencing.

"No matter how hard or heart-rending it is to live,
Do not wear a tearful face.
Let's keep walking steadily
And live out our lives."


I am grateful for my life.

Ruth

No comments: