Saturday, June 7, 2008

Acceptance and letting go

I've walked about one third of the way across Spain, and so have approximately 500km to go.
Doing a pilgrimage sounds very romantic, but truthfully, it's probably one of the hardest things that I've ever done, and it's not just the walking that's hard. I think it's the letting go that's the hardest: letting go of the familiar, privacy, comfort, letting go of ever again seeing those that you meet on the way, not pushing away that feeling of utter loneliness that you feel as you stand in the middle of nowhere, unsure of which path to take. Even letting go of my possessions, was not easy. Twice, I packed things up and sent them to Throssel Hole Monastery in Britian. There are many days that I have to walk feeling very cold, but it was necessary to send away things, and lighten my load. The Throssel guestmaster is wondering who this person sending these parcels, is. We've never met.
I've had to let go of my expectations, of how far I shall walk each day, and accept that I am walking this alone. I have to let go of comparisons. Often, I think that I'll be last arriving, only to find out that I'm ahead of those who seemed most fit. Those who seem most cheerful often have tragic stories, such as a child's suicide.

It wasn't until I'd been walking a couple of weeks, that I experienced this acceptance. Now I just walk. Sometimes I'll walk short distances with others, but mostly I walk alone. Some things that have helped with the walking are: drinking more water, wearing my sandals when out of the mud (my toes were very sore), taking an antinflammitory twice a day for my knee, stopping regularily, lightening my load and therefore not having to send my pack ahead, thus making it possible to stop at any point. Not comparing pilgrims, and going only as far as it is good to do, not even worrying about Santiago, or my lack of whatever, just walking is best. I don't know how I finally arrived at that point of acceptance, but it sure is a lot easier than holding on and pushing away the things that we love and dislike.
This too will change. I'm sure of that

3 comments:

Cecelia said...

Hi Ruth,
Good to see another post and at the same time I'm glad you're only posting when you feel like it - I'm always happy to read your honest and wise words... The camino is not just a walk in the park is it? I don't know why it pushes us up against ourselves - but it always seems to.
You may be walking alone but there are friends and no doubt family back here at home thinking about you and cheering you on.
Be well.
Cecelia

ruth said...

Thanks Cecelia. The support is very much appreciated. The Camino is not at all what I had expected.
Ruth

Green Sweet Peas Rhubarb said...

Ruth, Wow congrats on your letting go!! Its a challenge and much of the letting go process we take for granted. Love reading about your journey. We are here sending you much support to keep moving whether by foot or taxi, or... you are doing it!! warmly, Cilica, Zhene' Bradina